Have you ever considered going abroad for college but are concerned about whether or not you’ll be able to get an American degree in another country? The allure of spending your late teens and early twenties furthering your education while experiencing a whole new culture is a dream for many. If the idea of studying business, communication, or international studies while living abroad excites you, then read on to learn how to get a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
General Requirements to Study for an American Degree in Madrid
So, you’ve decided to go abroad to get your American degree might be a good fit for you. Great! Now, before you get too excited, we have to know what sort of things we need to schedule and gather before applying. After all, the university needs to make sure you’re a good fit for them, too. Here are some general requirements you’ll need if you want to get an American degree while abroad:
- Application Form – One of the most important things you’ll need to do is fill out an application form. Every university will be unique, so make sure you read them carefully.
- Academic Grades – Your grades are a conclusive factor in the decision of whether or not you’ll be accepted. Every university has different requirements depending on the educational system you’re coming from.
- Letter of Recommendation – A letter of recommendation from your high school is another requirement when applying for an American degree program . These letters can help make your individual strengths and talents shine.
- Photocopy of your Passport or National ID Document (DNI) – You can easily get a copy made at your local library, office supply store, and even at your school in some cases.
- Personal Statement Essay – This essay topic and word count change depending on where you’re applying so make sure you read the requirements carefully for each university. If you’re stuck on what to write, it can help to write multiple versions of the essay before choosing the best one.
- Admission/Application Fee – All universities have fees for processing your application. These fees can vary by institution.-
Once you’ve gathered all the items listed above, you’re ready to move on to the next step. First, take a moment to celebrate getting through the most difficult step. I’m serious. Applying to college is tough. Make sure to celebrate the small wins along with the big ones. You’re done? Alright, on to actively applying!
How to apply to CIS University?
There are four easy steps to applying to CIS University. In fact, you’ve already nearly finished the first one. These steps are the last things standing in your way of getting to study for an American degree while abroad in Madrid. Are you ready? Let’s do this!
- Submit your Admissions Requirements – Remember everything we took the time to gather? Well, now it’s time to submit it. Now would be a great time to look over your admissions essay one final time for typos before moving on.
- Personal Interview and Admission Exams – Now, before you start getting stressed, the interview and exams are no sweat. You’ll meet with someone from the Admissions Committee as well as the Student Affairs Dean so they can learn more about what your interests are and what sort of extracurricular activities you enjoy. The exams don’t require any studying and cover the basics of math and English.
- The English test is in two parts. The first is a speaking test and the other is a written test focusing on grammar, vocabulary skills, and overall development.
- The math test is not an eliminatory test. Instead, CIS University will use it for placement in your math classes. This test is twenty-one questions long.
- Note* Those who don’t live in Madrid or aren’t able to travel there to take the tests will be given the option to take their exams remotely.
- Admission – Congratulations! You’ve received your acceptance letter. Go ahead and celebrate! Just make sure you send in your signed contract for the provision of educational services and your enrollment fee within ten days of acceptance.
- Course Scheduling – The last thing you have to do is meet with the Student Affairs Dean to choose your classes. Get ready to learn some exciting things!
Also, if you’d like to study at other universities to get more perspectives, you can always do your first two years at CIS University in Madrid and your last two at Endicott College in Boston, or at any accredited american university in the world.
That’s it. While applying to college can be a stressful time, CIS University makes it easy to receive an American degree in Madrid. Check out CIS University’s American degree programs to get started.