Our International Studies Foundation collaborated with Princeton University Orchestra in the concert that took place on February 2, 2019, in the auditorium of San Lorenzo del Escorial.
Francisco Ubierna, Dean of CIS, participated in the presentation of the event, which brought together 1,200 people.
The Princeton University Orchestra began as a group of professional musicians from the New York Symphony and the Philharmonic societies that performed a series of concerts at Princeton’s Alexander Hall in 1896. The revenue from these concerts was provided as funds for the establishment of a music school for the study of Musical Composition, Theory and History of Princeton University. Over the 122 years that followed, and up until today, the orchestra has become an almost exclusively student organization. Some 100 musicians represent a wide area of academic departments.
The members of the orchestra dedicate many hours to their compositions, in addition to the time required by the academic year. The orchestra graduates become interpreters, music professors and art managers, but the list of professionals also includes lawyers, doctors, business executives, government officials, economists, architects, scientists, researchers and journalists.