Course Number: ENG 100
Course Title: Introduction to Composition
Pre-requisites: 475 on CIS entrance exam and 3.5 on TWE
This course prepares ESL students for College Writing Seminar by introducing them to the fundamentals of academic writing. The textbook introduces students at the intermediate to high- intermediate level to paragraph organization and structure through writing Narrative, Descriptive, Process and Comparison/ Contrast paragraphs. In addition, students are introduced to the basic elements of ESSAY writing.
- Students will review paragraph structure, and write organized essays.
- Students will prepare for writing a comparative/contrast essay and learn how to use appropriate word signals in their paragraphs
- Students will prepare for writing a cause/effect essay and learn how to use appropriate word signals in their paragraphs
- Students will be introduced to the structure of the ESSAY: Introductory Paragraph, Body Paragraphs, and Concluding Paragraph. They will learn transition expressions to use between paragraphs. They will begin to write outlines for essay papers.
- Students will learn PUNCTUATION Rules and practice using them and editing their papers for punctuation mistakes.
- Liss, Ronda & Davis, Jason. Effective Academic Writing 3,Oxford University Press,2012
- Hacker, Diane. A Pocket Style Manual. Sixth Edition.