Course No: CMM 207
Course Title: Writing for the Media
An introduction to the styles and formats used for writing for various genres and media with an emphasis on print and digital journalism. The course covers, but is not limited to, writing and reporting for print, blogs, and podcasts; gathering original content; conducting interviews; and writing reviews. Satisfies the Writing Designated core requirement.
At the end of this course the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the writing process for media.
- Compose both long and short form professional writing.
- Identify and write for particular audiences.
- Develop strong information gathering skills.
- Develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Address current ethical issues in the media industries.
- Audio record and transcribe journalistic interviews.
- Create and maintain media content for various distribution technologies.
- Atkinson, S. (2014, July 2). The secret to writing stronger feature articles. Writer’s Digest. Retrieved from http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-secret-to-writing-stronger-feature-articles
- Binelli, M. (2016, June 1). ‘Hamilton’ creator Lin-Manuel Miranda: The Rolling Stone Interview. Rolling Stone. Retrieved from https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/hamilton-creator-lin-manuel-miranda-the-rolling-stone-interview-20160601
- Caramanica, J. (2015, July 27). Can the Weeknd turn himself into the biggest pop star in the world? The New York Times Magazine. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/magazine/can-the-weeknd-turn-himself-into-the-biggest-pop-star-in-the-world.html?_r=0
- Complex Staff. (2017, March 13). Chance the Rapper talks his Grammy wins, his daughter, and upcoming album. Complex. Retrieved from http://www.complex.com/music/2017/03/chance-the-rapper-interview-2017-cover-story
- Coscarelli, J. (2017, December 28). Why every pop star wants a piece of Starrah. New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/arts/music/starrah-songwriter-rihanna-drake-maroon-5.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmusic
- Eells, J. (2015, October 21). Sex, drugs and R&B: Inside the Weeknd’s Dark Twisted Fantasy. Rolling Stone. Retrieved from https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/sex-drugs-and-r-b-inside-the-weeknds-dark-twisted-fantasy-20151021
- Gilson, D. (n.d.). Writing a radio script. B-Side. Retrieved from http://bsideradio.org/learn/writing-a-radio-script/
- Grossan, A. (n.d.). How to write an album review. Writers & Artists. Retrieved from https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/writers/advice/819/dedicated-genre-advice/writing-non-fiction/