Course No: CMM 107
Course Title: Media and Culture II
This course is an introduction to the function and impact of mediated and mass communication in society. This course explores the history and contemporary landscape of print media, the Internet, digital media and consumer culture. Related new technologies, ethical issues and media effects are addressed.
At the completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Understand the origins and differences among the mass media in Europe, Spain and the U.S.
- Understand the economic foundations for the mass media.
- Understand how new technologies impact mass media use.
- Understand the commercial underpinnings of modern mass media.
- VIVIAN, John (2014) Media of Mass Communication, 11th Edition. Essex: Pearson Education Limited
- CAMPBELL, R. MARTIN, C. and FABOS, B. (2012) Media and Culture, 8th Edition. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press. (Excerpts supplied by the professor)